Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rains in Raxaul

I would be doing great injustice if I do not write something about this issue..... Thats probably the least I could do....

Thought I would start with a good picture.... the whole place was flooded so bad a week back we had water reaching halfway up our knees almost everywhere in the campus.... including wards and residences...
This beetle found a safe place to rest... on top of a floating leaf.. not for long though... That's the plight of people right now in the surrounding villages..


I didn't actually walk around with my camera in the rain.... guess i should have... but i have quite a few pictures on my phone camera... and that is where most of the ones you see here are from... Again I don't have pictures of the real flood situation... I took these today, as a matter of fact, a day after the rains have stopped pouring and the water is receding....


I took this snap after a two minute walk from the hospital... The water had already receded quite a bit.... The two blokes may look like they are having a lot of fun.... but truth is people have to wade through water reaching up till their chests to go about their daily activities.....


The floods have taken their toll on the sick too.... Last month we probably had the highest number of deaths and complications in the ObGyn department since a long time.... People have to brave more than just water to bring the patients to the hospital... Snakes and all kinds of other insects are out scurrying for higher ground... and since most of the water is muddy... you wont even know what bit you...




A bridge I came across when I went for a walk this evening... A wise man's... a rich man's rather attempt at keeping his house accessible to civilization... just minutes away from the campus... In the villages around the hospital.. people have lost their homes..... not much of a house anyway... wooden structures washed away by the rain...Weird stories of bodies floating around in the water are doing their rounds....


About ten minutes walk away from the hospital is a leper colony..... it is surrounded by water that at some places reaches your neck I am told.... And people have died by merely slipping and falling into the water... There is a river near the colony which is overflowing...


A demolished house I came across this evening...


It rained non-stop for almost ten days about a week back... and we had floods.... then it stopped raining and it was hot and humid for maybe three days.... and it started raining again... This time the rivers were already brimming and this downpour probably caused the rivers to overflow.... my theory... It stopped raining a day back and the water which usually recedes hours after the rain stops is still pooling outside my residence...


That's as far as I could go walking today... The brick pathway, my favorite route for my morning walk... just ends abruptly as you can see because of the water flooding it... people are seen wading through the water... I saw leeches in the water on my way back to the hospital.... And Rimi tells me that if these leeches stick to your skin, they don't let go till you cut the skin around the suckers..... I don't want to prove her right or wrong...


The worst thing is working when there is water everywhere... The hospital has provided rubber boots for all the staff... But still it grosses me out to see blood clots on the water in the labor room... Or worse.. the other day I was on my way to attend an emergency call and the security guy asked me to take a different route... looking ahead I found the whole pool of water turning red from the blood soaked gowns and pads of the labor room..... :-0
David Darg from Operation Blessing was here the other day. And he did an awesome job making this video and putting it on you tube... Good work Dave... It's a pity I couldn't meet with you while you were here...






It has stopped raining for the past two days and just when we thought it was all over... dark clouds hover over the countryside...





Looks like we are in for another bout of heavy rainfall......





Okay..... Will make another post soon.... if I or worse, my laptop, is not washed away.. Cheers!

No comments: